I think this is going to take a few attempts to get going on a regular basis. Things have been chaotic since the last time I posted since Dave has been home most of the time. We are hoping that the job he applied for last week pans out and he will be back at work soon. It has been wonderful having him home but at the same time, there have been many days that I am unsure what day of the week it is. Thankfully, that is one of the joys of homeschooling. There have been quite a few weekends that we have done quite a bit of schooling to make up for a day of fun and games during the week. Dave spent most of the last month helping a former co-worker with a side project and was gone during the day most of those weekends which allowed Emma and I to get a lot done.
Since my last post Emma has started with a new violin teacher that has been wonderful! We are only 3 weeks in with her so it is still too early to tell how progression will be but I think she will be moving a littl slower. It seems that this teacher is going to ask for more from Emma before she allows her to move forward to a new song.
Emma has also started taking art classes here in town. A new studio opened up this month and she has two classes just for homeschoolers! I was so happy to see that! Emma was her only student in the younger class the first week, and the second week, one of Emma's friends had joined. The teacher allows the parents to sit in and draw as well, and she (the teacher) has been very pleased with how it is going that she is considering lowering the max number of students and encouraging more from the parents. Both Emma and I have learned a lot so far and I will be scanning in what she has done so far.
As I type this, I am scanning in the suggested pagesfrom the appendix of her new math curriculum. It just came in the mail today and she is eager to get going so I want to make sure I have things ready. I am curious to see how this one goes. Glancing through, I see many areas where we will probably move quickly, but I see some sections that will give her some challenge. I think we are finally getting to where she should be and can slow down. We have been doing a lot of math using her hundreds board and dice and graphing lately while we waited for her new curriculum (I was stalling on ordering it for some reason). The activity she has loved the most lately was rolling two dice and adding the numbers. It was numbers 0-5 (covered up the 6 with a sticker) and she had to roll enough times to make the facts of 0-10 and then see how 1+2=3 but 2+1=3. She picked up on that real quick. I think the only one we just could not roll was 2 4's. We also rolled 1 die 100x and graphed out how many times each number 1-6 was rolled. The next night rolled 5 dice 20 times to see how the numbers compared. I want to do this a couple more times. I picked up a book of math games for young kids at the local used book store so I am hoping to find some more to play. The educator's book for her math also has lots of games to help make the concepts she is learning stick.
Hockey is going well. She is still one of the youngest (but no longer the youngest!) on her team. However, many of the new older kids are new to skating so she has an advantage there. She has had a couple shots on goal but nothing has gone in yet (at least not in the actual game).
We just re-bought our National Parks Pass so I am hoping for some trips up to the Colorado National Monument soon. We just did a trip to Arches National Park yesterday and spent the day hiking and looking at the arches. What an amazing place! Depending on weather, we are hoping to go back to the area. First, Emma needs to turn in her Jr Ranger book and get her pin. Second, the Canyonlands are in the same general area so we would like to see them too.
That's enough for now, will try to at least keep up the weekly updates with tidbits and pictures inbetween!
No comments:
Post a Comment