Monday, November 09, 2009

Music to my ears...

Today we were running errands and Emma tells me "Mom, I don't ever want to stop learning math!" She is pretty excited her new math curriculum is here and that I have put together a couple games for her. We did part of unit one for math today. It was linking up the numbers to their names. So before hand, I got the flash cards out and ran through them with her. I had not introduced them yet since I did not want them as sight words. She is able to read 7 out of 11 (0-10) so far and there is one or two that she will be able to read once we get to that point in her reading.

After that we played one of her new "games" - Monkey Math. It is a file folder game with 18 monkeys holding signs of different amounts of money from 12 cents to $1.75. It comes with print outs of money to match up to the monkies (for instance for 12 cents, the printout has a dime and two pennies). I decided instead to break out her fake money and let her figure it out. It was fun doing addition on paper, and even though we are not to that yet (adding two place values), she was picking up on some of it.

Another highlight for me was that she was able to read the directions to her math worksheet today! Had to introduce a new rule (s in has) and remind her that "e" makes the vowel say its name (we have not officially covered this yet, just introduced today for the number names), but she did it. The directions were "Check the set that has more." and "Check the set that has less."

No comments: