We spent this weekend camping and touring two different ghost towns. It did not run as smooth as we would have liked however. I spent Friday runnign around getting ready.. Food shopping and getting the oil changed. I was told that the truck needed a new belt soon so I opted to have them replace it them instead of waiting and running a risk of breaking down. Sat morning we were up early and got the truck packed. Woke Emma up at 7 am and we were ready to go... for the first time. We did not make it far since the truck was squealing bad due to the belt. We waited until 9 am and Dave took the truck into the place where I had the oil and belt change. The owner (who had changed the belt) told Dave that he had not changed the belt on this truck and that they did not even carry this brand of belt. Well, the reciept shows a belt change and there was someone there (who did not work there) who remembered me coming and remembers the guy changing the belt. They had to order the correct one from a shop in town and it was fixed correctly.... Then we were finally on our way at 10am. Stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some last minute supplies and the a stop for some Krispey Creme dougnuts and everyone started to relax.
Maybe here is a good time to mention it was not just me, Dave and Emma. Dave's mom also came along for her first camping trip since she was a teenager. First stop was Nevada City. For more information: http://www.virginiacitymt.com/Nevada.html Dave took Emma and showed his moma round while I took off and took pictures. We did not stay as long as we would ahve liked because his mom was tired and Emma was due for her nap. We drove on in the direction of our next stop and ended up taking a unpaved road instead of the highway. We tend to try new roads each trip and avoid the major highway as much as possible. Good thing we did because we ended up missing a heavy rain/hail storm that way.
Made it to our camping desination aroung 4:30/5pm and set up camp. Our campground was right near the second ghost town that we visited. We were going to do foil dinners but Dave saw a notice for some music in the church in the ghost town so we jsut cooked over the camp stove so we could go listen. Mary stayed to listen to the music in teh church while Dave, Emma and I explored a little since Emma was restless and we wanted to wear her out. I tried to put her down around 9:30pm and she had a hard time going down. While I was putting her down Dave had a new problem on his hands. While Mary had camped as a kid, she had never slept in a tent. She was using Dave's 1-2 man pop up and realized that night she was claustrophobic. They tried a few different things and it just was not going to work so she ended up camping in the truck. Later that night she had the scare of her life. I woke up and saw the lattern on so I woke Dave up to check on her since the truck is all but impossible for her to get in and out of by herself. I guess she had managed to get the foot stool over and had climbed out of the truck. By that time, Dave had reached the back of the truck to see what she needed and she thought he was a bear and jumped right back in and slammed the door!
We walked around the ghost town the next day and I took some more pictures. More info: http://www.bannack.org/ That went well and by the end everyone was very tired and it was time for Emma's nap again. We took a back road part of the way home and stopped off to get information about the Lewis and Clark Caverns so that we could come back another time. More info: http://www.imt.net/~logworker/parks/caverns.html
Over all it was a good trip. Everyone had a lot of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment