Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Weekly Review catch up… Language arts…

Another one subject review, so I can keep tabs on what we are covering.   Been taking things lightly as we get to them lately.  Emma is way past what she needs for hours and with the trip, school has been hit or miss some days…

Reading: 

Have not really touched her learn to read curriculum still.  I did get it back out last night and we will start working on more vowel combos.  She was on the lesson that teaches when c and g make their other sounds but we will come back to it.  I am noticing when she reads to me, vowel combos are a better area to hit right now. 

She is still loving reading from Dick and Jane.  These are her go to books and it is helping with speed.  We have also been working with Adventures with Frog and Toad, Berenstain Bears and Little Bear books as well.  I have been also finding her reading more labels and signs now that she is aware that there is a lot out there she can read!  She still asks me what stuff says and depending on what it is, I turn it back to her!

She is scheduled to take the DRA2 on April 22nd so we will be working to make sure she knows what she had learned so far.  Still struggling with glancing at the entire word before sounding it out.  Words like “bike” and “cake” where the “e” makes the first vowel long are hit and miss.  She knows the rule but forgets, also the same with words the have two vowels that produce a long vowel with the first and the second is silent.  Both of these are hit or miss and I think she just is not taking the time.  Occasionally she will realize she is wrong and correct it with out resounding it out.

Poetry:

She is working on another poem, almost memorized, just working out kinks.

Spelling:

Starting to introduce spelling words.  Right now, they are sight words that she is putting into her stories.   The first week was “the” “was” and “what.”  “What” carried over one more week and has joined the list with “one” and “two".”  Numbers are also going to be on the list. 

No comments: