Emma is cruising her way through the new math book. Only stumbling point we hit was subtraction with regrouping so it is time to stop for a couple days and work with the manipulatives and white board until she grasps the idea. Then she will cruise again for a few days. Still ahead in this unit.... adding 3 numbers together (2+4+1) and review. Then I think it is on to very basic multiplication and then basic division using pictures.
Language arts:
Emma has been emailing family and working on spelling through the emails. Thanks to my aunt for telling me what a kindergarten class at her school does, Emma now has a word wall where she can go if she needs help spelling a certain word. It is lacking right now, but as I see words that can be added, they are added.
We have a little money left from her hsing account this year so I think I am going to go buy the fun typing program I saw at Best Buy. She enjoys emailing but hunting for the letters takes a lot of time.
We also started her spelling program yesterday. We are using All About Spelling (AAS). The first four lessons we have worked through covered making sure Emma knows the first 26 phonograms, how to segment words, and introduces the letter tiles she will be using. She did great with the phonograms that were introduced. Not yet nailing all the vowel sounds but she never has been asked to say them all together. Today, she was told a sound and asked to write it down. Had to think on a couple and with the exception of "qu" got them all correct! The next 5 lessons deal with the short vowel sounds within 3 letter words, so it is a great ease in since she has been writing words with short vowels!
No comments:
Post a Comment