We have had the inaguration on the tv for most of the morning. The only time we had it off was when I had to take her to her violin lesson. The timing of that could not be worse since that was right when the President was being sworn in and gave his speech so we missed all of that.
I have been preparing her and talking to her about this for a couple days and her first question came last night "How do we pick a president?" We had talked to her back this fall about the different candidates and who was running for what and she went with me when I voted. She knew who John McCain was and who Barack Obama was. But that was a couple months ago.
So this morning she asked again, "How do we choose a president?" I talked with her a bit and had a hard time putting it into words how we weigh what they tell us against what we believe and what we feel will be best for the country. Then an idea popped in my head... I asked if "If Big Bird and Cookie Monster were running for President and BB offered violin lessons for everyone and CM said that there would be no more violin allowed who would you choose?" She quickly said BB. So I explained it is not that simple but basically that is what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment