We did not get to say goodbye to one of our pets today. (not a sad ending but a happy one).
Back in September, there was a lot of feral cats in the subdivision. We had our own litter of a mama cat and 4 kittens in our backyard. One day Dave went into the shed and accidently cornered two of them. He was able to snatch one. Our thinking was that she was young enough to tame and get to someone who could find a home for her.
That was where our thinking was wrong. Yes, she was easy to tame and a sweet kitten. The problem was the organization what helps with cats had all their foster homes full. They would help us with testing and fixing the cat but we had to foster her. Since other than rereleasing her, that was our only option we did it. I guess thinking back we could have gone and sat outside the market as well and given her away but that may not have been the best option.
Anyways, we agreed to have them help us and next thing I knew they talked us into fostering a playmate for the kitten we rescued. So we went from one kitty to two.
Once fixed, they are able to go up for adoption and it took a few months for that to happen since the vet they use only comes once a month. Since they could not go up for adoption in October (they are both black) the fixing was put off yet another month. So early Dec they went in and came home all fixed. Then there were no adoption fairs because of the holidays...
Anyways, this was the first time we could take them in for the adoption fair, so we took them yesterday. When we went today, we were only able to locate one of them! One had been adopted! The "funny" part? It was the feral kitty who was adopted and we still have the playmate. I am really hoping she gets adopted soon as well. We talked about keeping one or both but over the last 4 months have realized we are not cat people. We tried hard.
But as we were leaving, Emma got a little sad and said "I never got to say goodbye to Cassie." And I realized it was true. I honestly went in figuring we would be bringing both of them home today. I mean the organization has said they have the hardest time getting people to adopt black cats.
No comments:
Post a Comment