Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Homeschool Happenings In Washington

Getting a little excited the more I look at what is available where we are moving. I finally found a secular homeschool group online and joined. So far I have seen them posting for swim days (1x week), ice skating days (1x week), park day (1x week), and bowling (1x month). Emma is really excited, especially about the ice skating day.

I looked up the location of some of these and was amazed that they are actually pretty close to our apartment! We were somewhat limited in choosing and went in without really knowing the area.... Found two that would take our dogs (one of which is 110 lbs) and then asked a friend who lives out there her opinion. Came back that one was in a good area, the other in an iffy area. The one in the good area was with the same management company we used in Denver so we felt a little more comfortable going in without visiting. Turns out, as of right now, that location was a good choice!

Continues with more research today. One thing I have not figured out is violin lessons. We are moving to an area that has centers dedicated to Suzuki training but they cost big bucks and we loose the flexibility of travel that homeschooling allows. We still might go that route but I am going to continue to look at other options.

I found one music store that rents instruments but seem like they might cost more than the local store here (who is willing to rent long distance). On their site I saw something about homeschool option and found that they have 2 days a week they cater classes to homeschoolers, including orchestra! After emailing them, it has been determined she might even qualify for 2nd year orchestra because she has been playing so long. The teacher wants to watch her play first. This also has a weekly commitment though. However, the price is a lot more agreeable, even though I will still add on private lessons too.

Stopped in and said goodbye to her art teacher today. It was good to see her. Emma has been with her since she opened her studio here in town (minus classes when we were traveling).

Off to get some stuff done!

No comments: