Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekly review...

We had a pretty good school week. It has helped getting back into some sort of routine. Still tweaking things but each time I get a better idea of what works best for Emma. Would have a few more pics but the camera battery died and the spare/charger are still packed.


Math: her new math books came in the mail. We are still a few weeks from diving into the next book (and that is assuming I go straight into 3A). With the next year's book was also Singapore Math's Challenging Word Problem (CWP) books. I was eyeing these last year but they had been discontinued because they were creating newer versions. Now that I have my hands on one, I think it is going to challenge Emma some. It is suggested you use them a year behind where the child is working so I got book 2 since that is what she is finishing up. Emma says they are challenging and a little frustrating, but they are really fun, usually. As for math this week... We worked in CWP and completed the practice problems for section 1 (addition and subtraction) as well as 7 problems in the challenging problem set. I say we since she is needing some guidance still about setting the problems up, but she is cathing on quick! (We are talking 2-3 step additon and subtraction word problems!) She also started on her second to last unit in SM2B which is volume. I was hoping she would do the first section since I had planned on working with the CWP too, but she flew through the entire unit and will finish up that unit's review next week!


Language Arts:


Memory Work: I am working on setting up her memory work folder. My goal is to implement a good review system that I have seen others use. Each piece she is working on will be reviewed daily, every other day, 1x a week and then finally 1x a month, depending on the piece and how solid it is memorized. I am finding other things to add other than poems. She is also working on memorizing the western states and is doing an aweseme job at it. She has California, Washington, Montana, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Alaska memorized! She just added
Nevada and Oregon. So she is almost there! Will also be adding items from her grammer book to her rotation to help cement them.








FLL: Not sure how many we worked through but she finished up with pronouns and narrated a story back to me. Moving on to verbs next week!


WWE: Finished out week 12. At her requested, I am working on typing out the copywork to use with a similar paper that her handwriting curric uses. She is finding it much easier to write smaller now.











Cursive: She is now finished with 10 letters! (she knows a few more but has not officially learned them in her book).








Science: We played catch up with week and ended up taking two weeks on the respiratory system. She now knows how the lungs work with the heart to carry oxygen to all the cells in the body and carry carbin dioxide out. Onto the digestive system next!

History. We traveled back to Africa to learn about Ancient Africa. Did not get to the project yet so maybe this weekend.


P.E. The rec center is now open! We went swimming twice and she worked on her front and back float and practiced using her arms and kicking. Also practiced shooting baskets on the basketball court!


Art: Art class where they made a watercolor collage.


Violin: She is getting more consisten (rather we are) about practice and we are two weeks stong now with practice. Last week was 1 shy due to her being sick, this week, we are on track for the correct amount.

No comments: