Monday, August 30, 2010

Interesting observation

Just wanted to quickly share this.

Last Friday at park day when I took Emma to go play with the home school group I did what I usually do, and sat quietly not quite with, nor quite away from the group of women who accompany the rest of the kids. I have been known to visit briefly with "the group" but largely I tend to keep to myself while Emma goes to play.

This is not a really a Man/Woman thing for me, as you could assume, being the only man at the gathering could cause discomfort but it really does not for me. I just tend to not be very social or talkative in General, content to hang back and listen in and perhaps throw in my 2 cents worth when prudent, or directly asked.

The interesting bit happened when later on one of the women's husband showed up, this prompted the group to laugh and joke that I did not have to sit all alone now that another man was there. I laughed as well, and obediently the man played the situation and came over sat next to me and introduced himself, again joking that we could converse and be spared the punishment of listening to the women gab. I joined in the laugh again.
He then stated "So you off work today then huh?" I politely explained to him that my wife was currently working, so I was staying home to tend to Emma, and take care of the schooling. This was the part that stuck me interesting. It was quick but over his face flashed a kind of puzzled look followed by a quick nervous look, then quickly the conversation recovered and went on pleasantly as any would.

What I found most interesting was not his reaction, but rather my own thinking of how normal it is for me now to easily switch roles with Anne. We have pretty much thrown out all notions of "normal" or the stereotyped family structure in favor of being more flexible in life.

Though overall attitudes about the traditional roles of men and women have changed a lot in recent society I understand that largely people still fill the old traditional roles of Man to work, and woman at home. So it may not be the shock it once would have been but it is still there in a subtle way. It was not a bad thing at all, and I took no offence, I just smiled, and thought it was interesting.

Anyway I am continuing on with keeping Emma going on school, while Anne finishes up her job. Admittedly not as well as Anne, but I am learning, and things are going well. Emma is a good Student, and Teacher.

No comments: