Monday, December 01, 2008

Identical gifts?

So, the other night Dave, Emma and I are out in the garage (our newly insulated/heated garage!) playing darts. Well, Dave and I are playing, Emma is doing her own thing. She has tried to play but the board is too high. I mentioned that there were magnetic dart boards out there and her eyes lit up! So I start researching and find a reliable on and figure that could be one of her larger gifts. I even managed to find a store in Montana to buy it from while we were up there visiting. Hey, I figure no shipping costs and even better, no sales tax!

So I am all set to make a run to get it. And then... the first night there, Dave's mom pulls me aside and asks me "Do you think Emma would like a magnetic dart board?" I had never even mentioned it to her and she happened to see it in a new toy store and was drawn to it. I took a glance at it, and it was the exact same board I was going to pick up for her!

It was just amazing how that played out. Shewas able to see Emma get really excited when she got it (we did Cmas up there early) and it was worth it. Now I am stuck having to come up with something else. I am struggling to get Emma to even come up with a list to send Santa. She has no problem going through catalogues and saying "I want that and that and that." So now, I need to sit down and actually see what she wants and make a reasonable list. Already warned her that she will not get everything on her list. This is the first year that she has been really like this.

I did make a run to the new toy store up in Livingston and picked up a few things. I feel kind of bad about one purchase though. I found what I thought was a great deal and put it in my pile. When he went to ring it up, he thought it was mismarked for 7.49 instead of 14.99. So it was a great deal just mismarked. While he went to look up the correct price online, I told him that if it was the 14.99, that it was out of my range for what the toy was. He ended up selling it to me for 7.49 and I felt guilty about it. He did run back and remark the last one on the shelf tho!

No comments: