Sorry it has been almost a month and a half since the last post. We have been busy and as usual, things are changing so we are having to change how we do things.
About two months ago I applied for an on-call position with the Migrant Head Start program here in the valley. Dave had seen the position listed with our workforce center and the pay was good, so we thought it would be a good thing for me to apply for. He has not had luck finding work here since so many others are also looking. My field does not seem to be as thick with the unemployed. So I went in and applied. Then I pretty much wrote it off after not hearing from them (and none of my contacts had heard from them) after 3 weeks. About a week later, they called for an interview. That went well and then another 3ish weeks passed and I figured "oh well." A couple days later I was called in to fill out paperwork. While I was there, the director mentioned that they were really in need of opening up a classroom for about 6-8 weeks... only until school started. She wanted to know if I would be interested.
After talking with Dave, we felt it would be the perfect situation so I went from be on-call to being a full time teacher real quick! I started just over a week ago and the first 4 days was just setting up the classroom. The room they put us in was the storage area so we had a lot of stuff to move out before we could start arranging the room and getting it into shape.
The kids started Wednesday and we have only 4. They are 2.5ish and it has been a lot of fun. I really like this program because no matter how few kids, there always has to be 2 adults with them. With my last program in Denver, the second I hit 5 kids (1 year olds) they pulled my aide.
Since I am full time for the time being, Dave has been home with Emma and I think it has been good for everyone. It has been an adjustment since I know her schedule of classes and appointments but we are making it work.
Since I started working, Emma has been getting violin in every day and is really doing well. I think we needed a change of pace with that and Dave provided that.
No comments:
Post a Comment